Many thanks to Grant Langdon for compiling the minutes for PPITT’s first 2017 meeting!
Pikes Peak Interagency Transition Team Meeting Minutes 1/19/17
- Transition Coordinators met in Manitou (with The Resource Exchange) prior to this meeting.
- Facilitator for this month’s meeting (from SKSF) was not in attendance. Therefore Shelly Shepard volunteered to facilitate. Shelly reviewed PPITT’s history.
- Introductions began at 1:04 pm. Attendance:
- Angie Brown – Fountain Fort Carson School District #8
- Anne Morin – Goodwill Possibilities
- Antonia Meier – A Rise Above
- Carol Van Ness – A Cognitive Connection
- Carrie Richards – Mosaic
- Chris Litzelmann – Ute Pass BOCES
- Cindy Powell – PPITT Social Media
- Cynthia Lorenc – Academy School District #20
- Delaina Massie – Pikes Peak Library District
- Donna Chapman – A Rise Above
- Edgar Morales – The Independence Center
- Grant Langdon – District #11 School to Work Program Hannah Widmer – The Arc of the Pikes Peak Region
- Jamie Harrell – The Independence Center
- Janis Bickers – A Cognitive Connection
- Jodi Edmisten – Special Kids Special Families
- Joseph Rocco – Du Myon Martial Arts
- Karen Migneault – Du Myon Martial Arts
- Katie Ueberroth – Widefield School District #3
- Linda Ellegard – Special Kids Special Families
- Nicole Beauvais – Cheyenne Mountain School District #12
- Shelly Shepard – Harmonized Brain Center
- Sonya Teigen – Pikes Peak BOCES
- Staci Pettibone – Ariel Clinical Services
- Stephanie Pallas – Foundation for Successful Living
- Theresa Felton – Harrison School District #2
Speaker Linda Tegtmeier, from non-profit Rocky Mountain Down Syndrome Association presented:
Rocky Mountain Down Syndrome Association provides:
- Advocacy training
- Connections for new families of children with Down
- IEP representation
- Training to educators and families
RMDSA works with all individuals with Down Syndrome (birth to death). RMDSA currently serves families in the Denver metro area: college-like experiences (housed on a college campus). Linda desires contacts at local colleges to possibly expand services to Colorado Springs area.
Funding: grant writing, fundraising throughout the year, private funding.
Hannah – The Arc (PPITT fiscal agent):
Two upcoming dances in February
Learning to Drive is a positive promotional full length feature film; fundraiser will be held on Feb. 28th
“Achieve with Us” Film Festival: promo video presented today; free to Colorado Springs community. Films will be shown at 1:00, 3:30, and 7:00 pm on March 1st at Stargazers Theater. All films are about individuals with disabilities, starring individuals with disabilities.
Nomination forms for the Annual Arc Awards (celebrating individuals with disabilities and recognizes community providers who serve people with disabilities)
Nomination deadline: March 1st
Building for Change (new regional Arc building being constructed in the very near future)
PPITT Annual Resource Fair
Eventbrite website is the electronic registration being used this year. 80 tickets are available. Jodi requested link to be sent through PPITT mailing list/email distribution. Sonya will provide link.
Hannah demonstrated how to register for a booth and how agencies can select categories of services.
Limit descriptions to 200 words or less.
Email Hannah with questions.
April 20th: 5:00 to 8:00 pm
Organizers: arrive at 3:00
Set up: 4:00
Aspen Pointe Café pizza available for vendors
Other agencies (Master Drive, Two Core, Colorado Springs Utilities) can be included in Resource Guide (even if they don’t have a booth at the Resource Fair)
Current balance: $2,100.67
Hannah estimated $4,000.00 annual expense for two sign language interpreters
Carol Van Ness: will investigate printing 50 poster-size flyers; marketing and PSAs to be discussed at next month meeting
The PPITT website/Mail Chimp synchronization is working again; was not functioning for a few weeks.
Shelly Shepard: a week from today – “Spirits and Wine” event; all proceeds go to the Special Olympics
Skiing and snowboarding (Downhill for Dough) fundraiser: to help cover the cost for skiing equipment for individuals with disabilities. Vince is a Special Olympian who qualified for the World Games (raising funds for this athlete); he qualified with his downhill ski times.
August 24th: Du Myon Martial Arts fund raiser
Next PPITT meeting: Feb. 16th at 1:00 p.m.
Facilitator: Grant Langdon
Note Taker: Kim Van Valkenburg
Presenters and speakers: check in with Carol Van Ness
Meeting adjourned at 2:20.