PPITT 09/15/16 meeting minutes – large print version attached
2 Guest Speakers:
- Carol Van Ness, A Cognitive Connection- Specializing in brain rehabilitation and behavior intervention. Carol is certified in special education, is a cognitive and behavior specialist, has endorsements in severe cognitive and affective needs, behavior analysis, memory support, is a brain injury specialist, and is a facilitator for Love and Logic. Carol has opened A Cognitive Connection with the support of her family and Janis Bickers- a certified counselor/ provider for The Listening Program. This program was formerly at Carmel; now an independent contractor. A Cognitive Connection utilizes multiple modalities including The Listening Program, music therapy, and preferential specialized music to encourage memory, Brain Builder Software system, Rhythm Training, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Positive Behavioral System, multisensory approaches, and brain integration strategies to encourage learning and cognitive success. A Cognitive Connection utilizes talk therapy in conjunction with music and technology and a multisensory approach to change how the brain functions. This has been helpful for people who have had a brain injury as well as those working to improve focus, skills, poor school and work performance, etc. The program is currently self-pay. However Carol is working on becoming a Medicaid provider. For more information call Carol at (719)464-7665, the office at (719)233-1199, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Carol Cochran with Brain Injury Alliance of Colorado- Established to assist people with a brain injury and their loved ones by accessing needed supports to maximize recovery now and in the future. The Brain Injury Alliance uses a team approach to case management. All services are free. For more information or to obtain a copy of the Brain Injury Directory, call Carol at (719)315-4824 or email at carol@BIAColorado.org.
PPITT Business: Hannah with the ARC states that the fair budget is the same; will provide numbers at next month’s PPITT meeting. The fair will be 4/20/17; 5:00-9:00 pm. The website will be similar to last year; the table fee will increase to $50.
Upcoming Events and Services:
- Erin Tucker with Air Force Academy Skating School (757)632-5818- teaching therapeutic skating
- “Building for Change” luncheon hosted by the Arc of the Pikes Peak Region. Thursday, 9/29/16; 11:30-1:00 at Hotel Elegante. Complimentary seating is limited. Please RSVP by September 23 at (719)471-4800 or email@example.com.
- Parenting with Love & Logic- adult only series facilitated by Carol VanNess September 8, 15, 22, 29 October 6, 13 from 5:30-7:00 pm at A Cognitive Connection (719)233-1199
- Special Olympics- skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, cross country. Those interested in joining a team can find more information at specialolympics.org or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jaime Harrell: The Independence Center- new satellite office in Monument. Call (719)471-8181 for the address.
- Cindy Powell: Teaching Sign Language to People with Disabilities; intensive four hour workshop at United Providers: Friday 10/14; noon to 4 pm; extremely limited seating: 331 – 7636 for more information; or email@example.com